Celebrating New Who: Day 7: It's the Day!



Happy Tenth Anniversary everyone!! Today over on my Tumblr account I'm blogging the moments from Doctor Who that make me smile. (The artwork is all made by much more talented people than me!) All the New Who moments that put a big fat grin on my face. Because yeah, there are amazing themes and arcs and characters, but Doctor Who is just pure fun as well.

Some shows hold a special place in your heart, and Doctor Who is one of those for me. I live with multiple chronic illnesses and chronic pain, and I rely on film and TV to distract me when it all gets too much. Escapism isn't a bad thing, especially if it reminds you of the good things in the real world, and Doctor Who is fantastic escapism. It has made me smile so many times, through a lot of otherwise shitty days and nights, sometimes when nothing else could cheer me up.

Doctor Who has inspired me to take writing seriously, and to try to become a better TV and film reviewer. And it's been a conversation-starter with so many unexpected people. One day when a hospital clinic nurse called to assess me for an appointment, we got talking, and I soon found out that he was a huge Classic Who fan, and wanted to know whether New Who was worth watching. So we talked about the Autons, and whether the Cybermen are scarier than the Daleks - as you do when you've just met someone! Doctor Who has this great way of connecting enthusiastic people with each other. I love that.

I'm so grateful for this brilliant show and for all the people who made it happen. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Russell T Davies - I love his work and if he hadn't decided to revive Doctor Who over ten years ago, we wouldn't all be here. So thanks, RTD, for getting the party started again. We owe you a lot.

For me, this day is dedicated to that magnificent dork, the Tenth Doctor, who made me fall in love with the whole thing in the first place. Some characters grow on you over time, but as soon as that cheeky madman in his pyjamas used a satsuma to save the world, I was gone; I knew right then I'd be absolutely enchanted by this character. I love all the Doctors (they are the same person, after all), but it was Ten who started it all for me - my brave, dark, sparkling, "fun-footed" Doctor. (And David Tennant's phenomenal acting talents might have had something to do with that too. Thank you a million, dear sir.)

Thanks, Doctor Who, for all the laughter, tears, artistic inspiration, and pure joy. Let's hope the next ten years of New Who are even more amazing.

“Just . . . . be magnificent.”
“I think I will be.”

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.